On June 19, 1988, St. Charles Parish held a liturgy of rededication in celebration of the expansion of their church building. The history of St. Charles Parish dates back to the early 1800s when an Oblate missionary, Fr. LaFleche, built a small log cabin where hunters could meet for Mass on Sundays.
The parish was pastored by the Oblate Fathers until 1949 when the Franciscan Fathers were invited by the Archdiocese of Winnipeg to administer to the parish. The Franciscans who were pastors at St. Charles included Fr. Clement Lepine, Fr. Hilary Tardif, Fr. Fidele Chicoine, Fr. Raynier Chabot, Fr. Felix Surette, and Fr. Stan Frytek.
In 1979, care of the parish was returned to the Archdiocese of Winnipeg. However, in honor of the Franciscan presence and contribution to St. Charles, major concelebrants for the liturgy of rededication included Fr. Fred Doll (superior of the Winnipeg friary) and Fr. Felix Surette (former pastor of St. Charles).